Thursday night I got home from line dancing and decided to whip up 5 blocks for Molli Sparkles’ charity quilting bee for the survivors of the terrible terrorist attack in Sydney this past week.
His requirements were this 5.5″ hashtag block tone-on-tone with white. I dug into my scrap & stash and pulled out these fabrics.
The fabric is all from my scraps but the orange is from Jo-Anns from years ago and the other ones all had the selvage cut off.
The hashtag block was super quick to make and is so stinkin’ adorable I might have to add a hashtag quilt to my list of quilt designs to try.
One thing I’d like to mention about Molli’s hashtag block tutorial is that, although it’s not mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend trimming the last 2 print strips to 5.5″ before sewing the rows together as seen in the photo below. I find that kind of attention to detail keeps my blocks more true otherwise I’d end up with a wonky block!
It was going to be much easier to prevent rows from distorting by just trimming them to the right length.
These blocks are just too cute, I would love to experiment with what shapes you can make from these blocks on different repeats. I really couldn’t believe how great a pull this ended up being out of my scraps. Usually at the store I have a terrible time pulling fabrics together so I often use collections of fabric that are intended to be used together.
Most of these prints are leftovers from blocks that are in the UFO pile. Who’re the weirdo who wanted to do a HST quilt with 3.5″ unfinished HST blocks. Yea, do the math on how much trimming that is for even a lap size quilt…….ugh. It’ll be stunning so…..much….squaring up!
The five blocks I ended up with! Yes there was a solid in the pull photo that got lost between the ironing board and the cutting mat so it will return to the stash to be pulled again another day.
Linking up with
Your blocks look great! I agree that a quilt made out of 5.5″ blocks would be a lot of work, but these hashtags are so cute. I’m glad you joined in. 🙂
Comments are closed.